One of the most commonly asked questions when it comes to wisdom teeth removal is whether it can lead to an asymmetrical face after the procedure.
Wisdom tooth extraction is a surgical procedure carried out to remove one or more of the four wisdom teeth, also known as third molars.
These teeth are often extracted when they become problematic for dental health – such as causing pain, infection, or damage to adjacent teeth.
In this blog post, we will discuss the benefits of wisdom tooth removal, the removal procedure and its potential effects on your facial shape.
Table of Contents
- The Benefits of Wisdom Tooth Removal
- The Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
- Effects of Wisdom Tooth Removal on Facial Shape
- Wisdom Tooth Removal Aftercare
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction in Boulder, CO
The Benefits of Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom tooth removal can provide several benefits for both your dental and overall health. These include:
- Prevent tooth decay: Wisdom teeth are located at the back of the mouth, making them difficult to clean properly. This can lead to an increased risk of tooth decay (cavities) on the wisdom tooth and the adjacent second molar.
- Reduce overcrowding: Most mouths do not have enough space to accommodate wisdom teeth, which can lead to overcrowding and misalignment of other teeth.
- Prevent infection: Wisdom teeth that are partially erupted or impacted can create pockets where bacteria can build up, leading to infections in the gums and surrounding areas.
- Alleviate pain: Wisdom teeth that are impacted or growing at an angle can cause significant pain and discomfort.
The removal of wisdom teeth does not significantly change your facial shape. Any alterations in facial appearance post-surgery are typically temporary due to swelling.
The Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Before delving into the effects of wisdom tooth removal on your face shape, let’s first understand the procedure itself.
Wisdom teeth are removed under IV sedation, meaning you will not be awake or feel pain during the surgery.
If all four wisdom teeth need to be removed, we usually suggest removing all the teeth in a single procedure. This way you will only require a single operation/sedation and a single recovery period. Your surgeon will make an incision in the gum tissue to expose the tooth and bone, if necessary.
They may also need to remove any bone that may be blocking access to the tooth root.
Once the tooth is extracted, stitches may be required to close up the incision.
Following the procedure, you will likely experience some swelling and discomfort in the area, which can be managed with pain medication.
The recovery time usually takes a few days to two weeks. We will provide you with aftercare instructions to ensure a smooth recovery.
Effects of Wisdom Tooth Removal on Facial Shape
Now that we understand the procedure, let’s address the question at hand – does removing wisdom teeth change your face shape?
The short answer is no.
The removal of wisdom teeth does not have any significant impact on your facial shape.
- Wisdom teeth are located at the back of the mouth and do not play a role in supporting your facial structure.
- The changes in facial shape that may occur after surgery are often temporary due to swelling, which subsides with time.
However, it is important to note that every person’s anatomy and recovery process may differ, so it is best to consult with your dentist for personalized advice.
Wisdom Tooth Removal Aftercare
To ensure a smooth recovery and minimize any potential complications, it is crucial to follow our aftercare instructions.
- Take prescribed pain medication as directed.
- Apply ice packs immediately following surgery. During the first 48 hours, apply ice packs in a pattern of 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off.
- Sleep with your head elevated at 30 degrees.
- Eat soft foods and avoid hard or chewy foods for the first few days.
- Keep the surgical site clean by gently rinsing with warm salt water.
- Avoid smoking or using a straw, as this can dislodge the blood clot and delay healing.
- Attend follow-up appointments if requested by the surgeon to monitor your recovery.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction in Boulder, CO
Removing wisdom teeth does not change your facial shape in any significant way.
It is a common surgical procedure that can improve dental health and potentially enhance facial symmetry.
If you have any further questions about wisdom teeth removal or would like to schedule a consultation, contact Foley & Le Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
To book an appointment, call (303) 444-2255 or complete the online booking form.
We look forward to helping you achieve optimal dental health and a confident smile.